What is a sunroom and why do you need one in your backyard?
A sunroom, also frequently called a solarium, is an enclosed room that permits abundant daylight and views of the landscape while sheltering from adverse weather. It can be free-standing on a concrete pad or wood deck in the middle of your yard, or it can be placed against your house as a patio enclosure.
Here are ten reasons why you might consider adding a sunroom to your backyard:
- Sunrooms provide a space for you to enjoy the natural beauty of your backyard all year round, regardless of the weather.
- Sunrooms can be used for a variety of purposes, including relaxing, entertaining, gardening, doing crafts or other hobbies, and even working from home.
- Sunrooms allow you to create a tropical paradise in your own backyard, with plenty of natural light, greenery, and fresh air. Here are some great ways to outfit your sunroom.
- Sunrooms can be a great addition to your home if you love spending time outdoors but don't always want to deal with bugs or inclement weather.
- Sunrooms can add value to your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers if you ever decide to sell.
- Sunrooms are energy efficient and can help reduce your heating and cooling costs.
- Sunrooms can provide a place for your plants to thrive, even during the colder months.
- Sunrooms can be a great place to relax and unwind after a long day.
- Sunrooms can be a great place for kids to play and learn about nature.
- Sunrooms can be a great place to entertain guests and host parties or events.
While you can spend loads of money to have a contractor build you a custom sunroom, there are many great options that cost less and come ready to assemble. Most can easily be assembled by 1-2 people within 4-8 hours. Researching local building requirements with your HOA and municipality is recommended prior to installation.
Look for well-known brands such as Sojag, Paragon, Gazebo Penguin and Palram - Canopia. This sunroom from Sojag is one of the most popular and comes in three sizes:
Sojag Charleston 4-Season Sunroom Kit Dark Gray with Steel Roof
Transform your backyard with the addition of the Charleston Solarium. This extension to your home will provide the needed space to gather all your loved ones for an evening of dining and relaxation or it can be used as the… Read More
It also comes as a patio enclosure, if that is what you prefer:
Sojag Charleston Sunroom Patio Enclosure Kit Dark Gray with Steel Roof
Imagine your own private haven of relaxation where you are protected from snow, rain, mosquitoes and the sun's harmful rays all while being surrounded by the beautiful outdoors. It is now possible to enjoy your backyard all year round. This… Read More
This beautiful Striano Screen House boasts double sliding doors on all four sides of the aluminum structure, along with a galvanized steel roof:
Sojag Striano Screen House
Create the perfect outdoor space with the Striano Screen House. This beautiful screen house boasts double sliding doors on all four sides of the aluminum structure, along with a galvanized steel roof. It features wall to wall screens, which allow… Read More
For a more luxe, high-end sunroom, it's hard to beat the hexagonal Garda Garden Gazebo from Palram - Canopia. This sunroom has crystal clear polycarbonate walls, lockable sliding doors and a built-in gutter system for water drainage. If you're looking to cover a hot tub, it is simply ideal:
Palram - Canopia | 19.5 x 17 Garda Garden Gazebo
Surround yourself with the outdoors with the hexagonal Garda Garden Gazebo. The Garda is a spacious outdoor room designed to be enjoyed year round. Crystal clear polycarbonate walls with UV protected roof create an, inviting lounging space with a garden… Read More
If you love the look of the Garda but want something smaller, the Ledro comes in three sizes, the smallest being this 10x10:
Palram - Canopia | Ledro Gazebo 10 x 10 Gray/Bronze with Optional Screen Doors
Embrace the outdoors from the comfort of indoors with the Ledro gazebo. This wonderful outdoor living space is designed to be enjoyed year-round; allowing you to spend more time relaxing, reading a good book, enjoying your spa, entertaining or simply… Read More
It can be free-standing or placed on your patio, and like the Garda it has clear walls and locking doors as well as an optional screen door for airflow while keeping out the bugs.
A more modern and sophisticated alternative to the Charleston Patio Enclosure (above), the SanRemo Patio Enclosure from Palram - Canopia comes in three sizes and features clear walls and locking sliding doors:
Palram - Canopia | SanRemo 10' x 14' Patio Enclosure - White with Optional Screen Doors
The SanRemo Patio Enclosure is a sophisticated home addition providing you an affordable and maintenance-free space for relaxation. Featuring high-impact crystal-clear acrylic wall panels and Palram’s virtually unbreakable polycarbonate roof system, you have a pristine view outside of the elements.… Read More
Investing now in the sunroom of your dreams will pay dividends for years to come.